“I just purchased a SSD drive, put some important data on it and it was working on my laptop flawlessly. But, the problem is when I am attaching it with my PC, the Solid state drive is not showing up in my computer. I am using Windows 10 and when I hit a double click on my SSD, it is asking me to insert a device. Is there any expert who has any idea about what’s happening? why isn’t my ssd showing up in my computer? Do I need to format my SSD to make it detectable by my computer? Thank you in advance!”
Overview of SSD
SSD has one of the best and most convenient data storage devices that is being widely used in multiple devices like computers and laptops etc. It has the capacity to store large-sized data and there come many circumstances when users need to connect their SSD to another computer. However, the problem occurs when their SSD does not appear in Windows File Explorer. Also, the system does not display any notification for the same.
If you are facing the same problem and landed on this page while searching why is my SSD not showing in my computer issue then, stop scratching your head. In this article, we will walk you through some simple and actually working techniques to resolve these issues like Samsung SSD not showing up in my computer Windows 10. Here is our guide!
Pro Tip: If your SSD is not detected by your computer then, this means your SSD drive has some serious issues. Hence, it is highly recommended to use SysTools SSD Deleted Data Recovery Tool to resolve all the issues related to SSD. But remember one thing before using this software. Firstly you have to format your SSD drive. After that, try this Solid State Drive Data Recovery software.
Why Is My Ssd Not Showing Up in My Computer?
There could be several reasons behind it error or your SSD drive might be damaged physically or logically due to several factors. Some common reasons for the same are the following:
- Improper Handling: Frequently inserting and removing an SSD drive from the computer while running may corrupt the file system of the SSD drive.
- Lost Drive Letter: An external device without a drive letter cannot be viewed from Windows Explorer. Hence, if your SSD loses its drive letter then, your system will not display it.
Connection Issues: If the SSD is not connected properly to the computer then, it cannot be recognized by the computer.
- SSD: In some cases, users make their SSD drive write-protected due to which the computer becomes unable to read or detect it.
- Outdated Device Driver: If SSD not showing up in your computer windows 7 but can be accessed by Device Manager with a yellow mark then, it indicates the issues like why is my SSD not showing on my computer with system drivers.
Troubleshooting Why Isn’t My SSD Showing Up In My Computer Issue
If your SSD is not appearing in Windows Explorer after attaching it to our PCs then, it is a very common problem. Below are some simple tricks to resolve this issue:
Technique 1. Connect SSD on Another Computer
After encountering SSD not detected my computer Windows 7 error, the first thing you should do is connect your SSD drive to any other computer.
If the SSD drive is still not detected by another computer then, probably your SSD has some issues that you need to resolve.
If the SSD is detected by another computer then, there might be a problem with your previous computer.
Technique 2. Assign a Drive Letter to SSD
In case your SSD is connected to the computer but not appearing in File Explorer then, you can check it from the Disk Management to make sure whether its drive letter is missing. If it is then, follows the below instructions to assign a drive letter:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run wizard
- Enter diskmgmt.msc and hit the Enter button to open Disk Management
- Locate the SSD and hit a right-click on it and select Change Drive and Path… option
- In new pop-up windows, hit the Add button to assign a drive letter to SSD
Technique 3. Update Your SSD Drive Letter
Navigate to the Device Manager and if you are finding your SSD here with a yellow sign then, it might be possible that it has a driver issue. Now, you need to update your driver. Below is how to do it:
- Type Control Panel and click on System >> Device Manager. Select Disk drivers
- Here, locate and select your SSD and hit a right-click. Select Uninstall >> Scan for hardware changes. It will refresh the drivers
Today, there are thousands of users who are facing issues like Why Is My Ssd Not Showing Up In My Computer. Well, this has so common and here we have disclosed the top 5 tricks to resolve this issue in an efficient manner. Now, users can opt for any solution at their convenience.